On June 10, 2013 at the event “Bessensap: Wetenschap ontmoet Pers” (in Museon, the Hague), the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) officially announced that Piek Vossen is one of the three winners of the Spinoza Prize 2013.
The NWO Spinoza Prize is the highest Dutch award in science for top researchers with international reputations, also known as the “Dutch Nobel prize’. NWO awards the prize to Dutch researchers who rank among the absolute top of science. The laureates receive the prestigious prize for their outstanding, groundbreaking and inspiring research. An NWO Spinoza Prize is an honorary award for what the winners have achieved in their scientific career and an encouragement to continue doing excellent research. In essence the prize works as an impulse for scientific research in the Netherlands. The winners are internationally renowned scientists and know how to motivate young researchers. Each of them will receive 2.5 million euro to spend on research of their choice.
The NWO Spinoza Prizes have been awarded since 1995. The awards are made on the basis of nominations. Those allowed to make nominations are the rectors of universities, the chairmen of the Humanities and Science Divisions of the Royal Netherlands Academy (KNAW), the chairmen of the advisory councils of the Royal Netherlands Academy, the president of the Netherlands Academy of Technology and Innovation, the chair of the Dutch Network of Women Professors, the chairs of the NWO Division Boards and the WOTRO foundation. The candidates should hold a permanent position at a Dutch research institute and they must have ample time to continue doing top level research.
On 27 September 2013, State Secretary for Education, Culture and Science Sander Dekker and NWO Chairman Professor Jos Engelen awarded the Spinoza Prize and the Spinoza statuette to Mikhail Katsnelson, Bert Weckhuysen and Piek Vossen at the Nieuwe Kerk in the Hague, the Netherlands. The laureates elucidated their research and announced their future plans.
- press release NWO Award Spinoza Laureates 2013, September 27, 2013.
- Film Portret on the Laureate Piek Vossen by students of the UvA, September 27, 2013.
- Presentation by Vossen on the Spinoza-price, awarded by State Secretary for Education, Culture and Science Mr Sander Dekker and NWO Chairman Professor Jos Engelen, Nieuwe Kerk Den Haag, the Netherlands, September 27, 2013.
- press release NWO announcement Spinoza laureates 2013, June 10, 2013.
- ‘behind the scenes’ video NWO Spinoza laureates, June 10, 2013.
- press release VU University Amsterdam, June 10, 2013 (in English).
- press release College van Bestuur, VU, June 10, 2013.
- word of thanks Piek Vossen, June 10, 2013.
Television & Radio
- NOS Journaal, National Dutch Television, June 10, 2013.
- NOS Nieuwsuur, National Dutch Television, June 10, 2013.
- national radio interview NOS Nieuws, Radio 1, June 10, 2013.
- national radio interview NTR Hoe?Zo! Radio, June 10, 2013.
- Invited guest on Spinoza Price @ L1 radioshow De Stemming, café Forum, Maastricht, the Netherlands, June 30, 2013.
- Invited guest on Spinoza Price @ “Dit is de Dag“, radioshow Radio 1, Hilversum, the Netherlands, July 23, 2013.
- national radio interview @ BNR Newsradio, September 27, 2013.
- Invited guest Spinoza Price in radio show@ “OBA Live” with Theodor Holman, Openbare Bibliotheek (OBA), Amsterdam, the Netherlands, October 11, 2013.
- interview in local newspaper Weespernieuws, August 7, 2013
- interview national newspaper Parool, June 11, 2013.
- interview national newspaper Volkskrant, June 11, 2013.
- interview national newspaper Trouw, June 11, 2013.
- Interview national newspaper Algemeen Dagblad, June 11, 2013.
- interview national newspaper NRC Handelsblad, June 11, 2013.
- interview national newspaper NRC Next, June 11, 2013.
- press release Volkskrant, June 10, 2013.
- press release NRC Handelsblad, June 10, 2013.
- press release De Limburger, June 11, 2013.
- Limburgs Dagblad, June 11, 2013.
- press release Weesper Nieuws, June 11, 2013.
- press release Gooi- en Eemlander, June 12, 2013.
- interview Quest, special issue Experiment NL, 2013
- Nieuwsbrief NWO Geesteswetenschappen, juni 2013
- interview Scienceguide
- interview Kennislink, June 10, 2013.
- interview Ad Valvas, June 11, 2013
- article in New Scientist, June 10, 2013.
- article in Computable, June 12, 2013
- Announcement Olery, June 12, 2013
- Announcement in Elsevier, June 15, 2013
- Announcement Onze Taal, June 11, 2013
- Announcement Network Institute, June 10, 2013
- Announcement eScience Center, June 10, 2013
- See www.nwo.nl/spinozawinnaars (latest news, photos, jury reports, previous years, information about the procedures, etc.) for further information about the Spinoza Prize.
More pictures announcement ceremony June 10, 2013:
More pictures award ceremony September 27, 2013:
er zijn geen afbeeldingen gevonden